Ongoza: Business Systems Fellow 2019
- Location: Nairobi, Kenya
- Closes: Apr 26, 2019
Ongoza is a fast-growing non-profit Kenyan accelerator for high-potential, early-stage young entrepreneurs. We provide one year of highly subsidized, customized weekly business advisory as well as access to financing and peer networks.
Your role will be to listen to, represent, and support business users in the development and deployment of business systems that will enable Ongoza to work more effectively as a team and to make smarter decisions so that we continuously deliver better value to entrepreneurs.
This role will last six months, from June 2019 to December 2019.
Roles and Responsibilities
As a Business Systems Fellow, you will bridge the gap between business and technical teams to ensure that new systems meet the needs of business users.
Your specific roles and responsibilities may include but are not limited to:
- Interview business users to understand business processes
- Research available tools and technologies to see which can meet the business needs
- Document business processes and translate them into requirements so the technical team knows what the systems need to do
- Support in the development of project plans and track progress against them
- Serve as a reference point for the technical team, answering clarifying questions about business requirements and providing feedback on system design from a business perspective
- Test that new systems meet the business requirements by writing and executing test cases to simulate the business user experience
- Organize and manage user testing sessions to get feedback from actual business users
- Create training materials and conduct training sessions with business users
- Serve as a reference point for business users after systems are rolled out, tracking their suggestions and liaising with technical team to resolve issues
- Support the Data & Learning Manager with other strategic and technical projects as needed
You may be asked to undertake such other or amended duties appropriate to the job as may be allocated from time to time.
Skills & Experience Needed
- University degree, preferably in a business or technology-related discipline (such as information technology, computer science, engineering, business, or economics)
- Ability to communicate effectively with both business and technical teams
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Creative problem-solving skills
- Attention to detail
- Ability to thrive within a fast-paced, rapidly growing and changing organization
- Growth mindset
- Willingness to travel occasionally
- Authorization to work in Kenya
- Prior work or internship experience in a similar role or as a software developer
- Familiarity with the software development life cycle (SDLC) and Agile methodology
- Experience working with Microsoft Excel and Microsoft Access
The Ongoza Way
We base our work and internal culture on four fundamental values and take them very seriously. If these resonate well with you, you will fit well at Ongoza!
- Act Together. We are open and inclusive. We prize ideas over hierarchy, value differences, and proactively support each other to achieve team goals.
- Improve Always. We actively seek and implement quick feedback for learning, innovation, and improvement both in what we do and how we do it. We evolve based on data, our experience, customer feedback, research, and industry trends.
- Don’t Solve the Same Problem Twice. We proactively communicate problems and build structures to address them in a consistent, systematic way.
- Demand Excellence. We consistently go above and beyond expectations to deliver the highest quality and professionalism in everything we do.
How to Apply
- Fill the application form at bit.ly/ApplyOngozaBizSystems
- The application will ask you to upload a CV or resume and cover letter.
- The screening process will include interviews and case studies and will give you a chance to understand us and the role better. We will ask for references.
- Please apply by 25th April, 2019 at 5 p.m. EAT.