The International Potato Center (CIP): 2019 Logistics Assistant Internship
- Closing Date: Mar 2, 2019
- Location: Nairobi, Kenya
The International Potato Center is a research facility based in Lima, Peru, that seeks to reduce poverty and achieve food security on a sustained basis in developing countries through scientific research and related activities on potato, sweet potato, other root and tuber crops, and on the improved management of natural resources in the Andes and other mountain areas
The International Potato Center (CIP) is seeking to recruit a highly skilled, results-oriented Logistics Assistant to provide support to the Procurement Specialist. CIP is a not-for-profit International Agricultural Research for development with a global mandate to conduct research on potato, sweet potato, and other roots and tubers and on the improved management of natural resources.
The Position: The Logistics Assistant will be based at the CIP Regional Office in Nairobi, Kenya and will be responsible for assisting the Procurement Specialist to support the Regional office in offering effective and efficient procurement and logistics services.
- Identify new suppliers and derivative products by constant market follow up, call for bids and acquire the best suppliers that will guarantee an optimum supply chain;
- Identify and implement alternatives for purchase sources, to minimize costs, time, and warehouse inventory levels;
- Determine purchase strategies to secure a cost-effective long-term supply chain;
- Receive and review procurement requests and initiate procurement procedures for goods and services in a transparent and cost-effective manner;
- Process and issue purchase orders through the OCS (One Corporate System) for approved requisitions in coordination with the program staff to ensure the efficient and faster processing of requisitions;
- Organise and monitor acquisitions, following standard processes and track product flow from origin to final delivery;
- Create and maintain contact with internal customers, in-order-to assist them with technical queries/ requests, agreed standards and deadlines;
- Process documentation for execution of logistics operations, taking appropriate actions to resolve operational issues;
- Maintain regular contact with contracted suppliers to monitor adherence to delivery period according to the terms of procurement agreement;
- Interpret data on logistics elements (supply chain management, strategic sourcing or distribution) for decision making;
- Coordinate quarterly stores stock take with the Administrative assistant to ensure optimum utilization of organization resources.
- Bachelor’s degree in Supply Chain Management, Business Administration, International Business or related disciplines;
- MUST be a member of a procurement-related professional body such as KISM, CIPS etc;
- Knowledge of suppliers in Agricultural Research activities highly desirable;
- At least one year of experience required in similar position;
- Fluent written and oral communication skills in English and Kiswahili;
- Proficient on MS Excel, Word and Power Point at user level;
- Ability to work under pressure and in a team setting;
- Strong client service orientation and displaying a good-natured cooperative attitude with internal and external clients;
- Knowledge of ERP software’s and administration of products and suppliers master files; previous experience of Agresso software will be an added advantage;
- Knowledge of EU, USAID, BMGF and AFDB procurement conditions a plus;
Why should you consider this opportunity?
- CIP is a global and reputable international organization that has a strong, state-of-the-art R&D background, and is a recent World Food Price Winner and awarded with the Al-Sumait Award for our Orange Flesh Sweet Potato work in Africa.
- CIP is dedicated to achieving food security, improved nutrition and well-being, and gender equality for poor people in root and tuber farming and food systems of the developing world.
- CIP is a member of the CGIAR Consortium, a network of 15 research centers that are mostly located in the developing world and supported by more than 50 donor members.
What are the conditions?
The position is Nationally Recruited Staff (NRS) position limited to Kenya nationals and permanent residents only. The employment contract will be for a one-year term (with a 3-month probation period) and the possibility of renewal subject to satisfactory performance and availability of funds.
HOW TO APPLY:
Visit the following link: http://cipotato.org/open-vacancies/ and submit your cover letter and a full C.V. with your references. Screening of applications will begin on March 1, 2019 and will continue until the post is filled. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Learn more about CIP by accessing our web site at http://www.cipotato.org
CIP is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified women are particularly encouraged to apply
CIP does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing or training). CIP also does not concern itself with information on applicants’ bank accounts.