International Organization for Migration: International Intern 2019
- Location: Nairobi, Kenya
- Closes: Apr 9, 2019
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Internal and external candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates.
Since 2006, IOM has been implementing a range of humanitarian and development projects in all regions of Somalia. With over 2.6 million internal displaced individuals, evolving mixed migration flows in and out of Somalia, increasing access and donor interest in Somalia, programmatic scope for IOM is growing rapidly. In this context, IOM Somalia is developing a multitude of concept notes and proposals and is therefore seeking for an incumbent to support the IOM Somalia’s project development and resource mobilization efforts.
Under the overall supervision by Chief of Mission and direct supervision of Programme Support Unit Coordinator, and in close coordination with colleagues from the Project Support Unit and programme units in the field and in Nairobi, the incumbent will be primarily responsible for proposal development, Monitoring and Evaluation, and donor report reviews.
The incumbent will gain understanding of IOM and the UN system and develop skills in project development, reporting processes and M&E. He/she will also gain basic knowledge in IOM’s areas of intervention, including migration health, WASH, Camp Coordination and Camp Management, Displacement Tracking Matrix, Shelter, protection, livelihoods, community based recovery, capacity building, labour migration, border management, and migrant assistant as well as gain insight into working in an international multi-cultural environment.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Assist in drafting concept notes and proposals for potential donors and funding opportunities;
- Provide support and coordinate the input to progress and final narrative reports to donors in close coordination with field-based staff, other divisions of the mission, other IOM missions;
- Provide support to monitoring efforts for the Mission, including drafting a M&E strategy for the Mission Strategy 2019-2021.
- Assist with providing and coordinating inputs for information requests from Headquarters, the Regional Office, other IOM missions and external partners, such as donors, partner agencies as well as implementing partners;
- Assist in general administrative tasks;
- Perform other duties as maybe assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
· Master’s Degree in Migration, International Development or other Social Science related field
· Understanding and experience in Monitoring and Evaluation, as well as reporting.
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills, in particular the ability to write concise, accurate proposal and reports.
· Strong coordination competence and ability to promote communication and knowledge sharing and in ensuring high quality of programmatic outputs;
· Experience and knowledge on migration in the context of Somalia and the Horn of Africa region;
· Experience in institutional capacity building in developing countries and fragile contexts;
· Knowledge of IOM overall programmatic focus in Somalia and basic understanding of the functioning of other UN agencies;
Fluency in English.
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 1
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In
all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.HOW TO APPLY:
How to apply:
Interested candidates should submit CV and a cover letter indicating the Vacancy Notice Number (INT No.) Position Title and the Duty Station with three professional referees and their contacts (both email and telephone) to: email@example.com