Duma Works: Marketing and Communications Officer Job 2019
Duma Works is recruiting a Marketing and Communications Officer for our client; a non-profit that works to preserve and protect wildlife in its natural habitat.
This role will need to work with and support the organization’s Brand, Marketing & Communications Strategy.The Marketing and Communication Officer prime responsibility is to manage the communication activities of the organization and to enhance brand awareness and visibility. The incumbent jobholder will coordinate all marketing and communication activities on behalf of the Kenya Office.
- To be the primary contact for all communications from the organization. This will involve creation and distribution of news stories for multiple channels including, but not limited to, website, social media and public relations.
- Generate publicity for the Foundation. This role will also be responsible to develop the Kenya news in the organization’s publications, including Wildlife Times, Kenya News and Adopt Magazine.
- To develop and explore opportunities to increase the brand of the organization and the Foundation in the country – this will include identifying key audiences and how to engage with them (this audience should include the general public, NGO’s, government officials, tourists, partners).
- To identify and explore key advertising opportunities within Kenya where ‘paid for’ advertising could enhance the Brand. This will involve liaising with Head of Marketing & Fundraising regarding the channel(s) (for example, advertising at Nairobi Airport) and associated costs. It will also involve building strong relationships with the advertising/media agency.
- To work in close collaboration with the HQ to provide on-going support for Marketing and Enterprise initiatives. This will include the development of key media contacts to help increase the reach of activity, plus providing assets such as additional stories (when required), videos and images for associated Kenyan projects.
- The role will be required to build close relationships with Head of Marketing & Fundraising and Head of Enterprise & Partnerships.
- Act as custodian of the Foundation’s brand identity internally and externally
II. Enterprise and Partnerships element
- To be the primary contact for all engagement and communication with potential Enterprise and Partnership donors/funders who are based in Kenya. This will involve developing an engagement plan with companies based in Kenya as well as high-level potential Kenyan based individuals.
- The role will include identifying key potential corporate sponsors for the organization, understanding their business objectives, identifying and communicating with key employees, working with the Head of Enterprise to develop a potential partnership pitch and securing meetings to discuss the opportunity.
- The role will also require keeping abreast of news in the local media and actively networking to identify key individuals who would have the ability to either influence at a senior corporate level or could support the organization financially from a personal perspective.
- As part of the overall engagement plan, the role will include the possibility of developing events which might be attended by HQ based staff and will be used as an opportunity to further develop relationships with individuals and companies based in Kenya.
- Help establish and maintain a database of project partners by soliciting input from the Kenya team and key partners, stakeholder meetings and forums.
- Help establish and maintain a database of project partners by soliciting input from the Foundation team and key partners, stakeholder meetings and forums.
III. Social media management
- Collect and organize content for the Foundation’s Kenya website and social media in coordination with technical teams and implementing partners. Proactively make updates across all platforms that is: Facebook, Twitter and website for the Kenya office.
- Author brief social media postings with corresponding links and source appropriate images for the postings.
- Schedule and post social media content as per the content calendar and obtain approvals for content prior to publishing. Monitor and responds to followers’ feedback and inquiries in accordance to established policy
- Ensure brand compliance across all social media assets deployed
- Gather, analyse and report social media performance data and provide insights and actionable recommendations for improving performance over time. KPIs include: reach, engagement and sentiment
- Keep an eye out for and be proficient with the new media tools so as to successfully achieve the organization’s goals by taking advantage of additional communication channels
Required Knowledge and Functional Skills
- Tertiary level education in Communications, Journalism or related field with experience in similar position in an international organization/company
- Proven experience and track records in writing for development/conservation; web maintenance and writing; efficient use of social media
- Must have owned the delivery of an ongoing marketing campaign strategy and be able to demonstrate the skills needed to do so
- Have owned the Social Media channel for a company/organization and can demonstrate significant success in driving reach, engagement and support online
- Must have managed a successful team and be able to demonstrate effective and delegation techniques
Required Skills and Competencies
- Keen interest and passion for conservation/environment issues
- Exceptional interpersonal communications skills and the ability to inspire others and build and maintain excellent relationships
- Be highly organised, with the ability to work on multiple projects at once and whilst keeping deadlines
- Excellent writing, editing and oral presentation skills in English
- Experience in working with one or more content management system e.g. WordPress, Drupal, Joomla
- Thoroughness and attention to detail and strong analytical skills
- Interest and ability in video production/or photography.
- Computer literacy
- Energetic, proactive and capable of working independently as well as an active member of the team
Internal: Interacts with the Kenya team, Country Representative, Senior and Junior Staff on daily basis, and as required coordinates and interacts with the Head of Marketing and Fundraising and Head of Enterprise and PartnershipsExternal: Interacts with the national government institutions, non-government organisations, academic institutions, the media, donors, experts, and other stakeholders in collaboration with the Country Representative
This position will be based in the Nairobi office.
To apply online click here or send your Cover Letter and detailed CV to firstname.lastname@example.org marking the subject as “3572”, Your Full name & Phone number e.g. 3572 Barack Obama, +2547xxxxxxxx. If you don’t follow these instructions, your application will not go through.
Deadline for receiving applications: Friday, 22 March 2019
* You will receive a confirmation email and an alert to take a basic screening test over SMS or online. The email with the test may not arrive immediately. Please be patient. The email/SMS test will typically be 5-8 questions to help us understand your background. Regular SMS rates apply to the test.
If you apply and don’t meet these minimum qualifications, we will not be able to move forward with you application.