Conservation International (CI): Greenhouse Gas (GHG) Internship 2019
Conservation International (CI) has been protecting nature for the benefit of all for over 30 years. Through science, policy, and partnerships, CI is helping build a healthier, more prosperous and more productive planet.
The Africa Field Division (AFD) has established offices in five countries (Botswana, Kenya, Liberia, Madagascar, and South Africa) and working relations with a further 12 countries in Africa – covering a continent with wide ranging economic conditions, a rich natural capital base as well as diverse socio-economic and environmental challenges.
In support of the CBIT Kenya Project, there is need to bring in 6 interns to expedite the completion of the greenhouse gas (GHG) inventory for Kenya in time for National Communication development. Thus, the intern will be required to assist to Measure, Report and Verify (MRV) greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions data, collate mitigation activities and Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) of the adaptation activities, in addition the intern(s) will support (finance, capacity building and technological initiatives of the climate change directorate). Lastly, the internship will involve the provision and support for proper documentation and archiving of climate change information and data as per the national MRV+ framework.
- Interpreting satellite imagery and develop maps and related data for inclusion in reports and publications.
- Overall data management including data collation, cleaning, quality assurance, archiving and migration
- Collate and encode the 6 IPCC sector data to facilitate data archiving, retrieval and processing to facilitate development of Greenhouse Gas Inventory and National Communication
- Data analysis, scenario modelling and visualization.
- Load, update and secure existing databases using appropriate software and backup procedures.
- Ensure consistency with Government of Kenya intellectual property rights prior to publication and/ release.
- Assist in organizing technical meetings, manage correspondence and meeting minutes, coordinate with partners, and perform related duties to help effectively exchange and disseminate information to key stakeholders.
- Assist in operationalization and update the Web-based MRV system (online system) designed for Kenya
- Assist in documentation of MRV institutional arrangement, reporting templates and procedures
- Draft Training reports and progress report for the CBIT Kenya
- Under supervision of the CBIT project manager and CCD, collect and collate data as well as update GHG inventory up to the year 2017
- Assist in Preparation of GHG sectoral inventory reports
- Other related duties as assigned.
- Work is performed in a typical office environment
- Flexibility to work outside normal work hours to meet deadlines as needed
- This is a position eligible to persons who have the right to work in Kenya
- The position is for a period of 3 months with possibility of extension
- College degree in environmental science, forestry, geography, geographic information systems, climate change, information technology, statistics or natural resources management.
- Currently enrolled post graduate student in a local university preferred
- Knowledge of climate change related international processes and agreements
- Ability to work in a team environment and work cooperatively with internal and external partners
- Strong written and verbal communication skills in English Language
- GIS and Remote Sensing skills (Google Earth Engine, ENVI, ARCGIS) and IPCC 2006 software and guidelines
- Excellent analytical skills and conversant with statistical packages e.g. advanced knowledge MS Excel
- Demonstrate excellent report writing skills e.g. technical reports for both internal and external (local and international) audiences
- Internship letter from the respective university
- Proficient in GIS and Remote Sensing analysis techniques
- At least 1-year work experience in Greenhouse Gas Inventory, climate change, data management, geospatial analysis and remote sensing
- Proficient in Microsoft Office or Google Docs
- Proficient in and IPCC 2006 software and guidelines
- Conversant with or desire to learn scientific writing
To apply please submit your resume, cover letter, writing sample, and references.
We expect that all employees will embrace the values of our organization.
Passion: We are inspired by nature and cherish the diversity of life in all of its forms.
Respect: We respect and trust each other, and we embrace our diversity of cultures, talents, and experiences.
Integrity: We act with integrity and are accountable for our actions.
Optimism: We are optimistic about the future of life on Earth and are confident that, with our partners, we will achieve unprecedented conservation results.
Courage: We tirelessly pursue our vision, taking bold action and persevering through challenges.
Teamwork: We work together, recognizing that openness, collaboration and cooperation are fundamental to achieving a healthy and prosperous world for all.
Apply for Job
To apply for this job please visit the following URL: https://chc.tbe.taleo.net/chc01/ats/careers/requisition.jsp?org=CONSERVATION&cws=1&rid=1155