If you are a teacher working under the Teachers Service Commission of Kenya, TSC, then you are entitled to a maximum of thirty, 30, days annual leave. This leave is usually taken during school holidays and shall receive full pay during this period.
Remember, according to TSC, all teachers are deemed to be on duty even during holidays. This is because you can be recalled to duty at any time. Therefore, if you need to be off duty like when travelling abroad for a short period, it is important that you apply for the annual leave.
Teachers get an annual leave allowance, once in a year.
Conditions that must be fulfilled before getting an annual leave:
You must meet the conditions below, for you to qualify for an annual leave;
- You must take the leave during school holidays.
- You should not accumulate your leave so that to be carried forward from one year to another.
- An application for annual leave shall only be made during school holidays by filling details as contained in form N.
The annual leave application form (Form N)
The annual leave application form contains the fields below:
A. Part I to be filled by the teacher applying for the leave:
- Name and TSC Nunmber of teacher applying for the leave.
- Number of days and exact dates for which the leave is to be granted.
- Current date and signature.
B. Part II to be filled by the Head of the Institution:
- Number of days recommended, for the leave
- Reason (s) for not recommending the leave; if any
- Name, Signature, Official stamp an date.
C. Part II to be filled by the TSC Sub- County Director:
- Date effective for approval/ Disapproval of the leave
- Date when the teacher is expected to resume duty, from the leave.
- Reason for not approving the leave, if any.
- Name, Designation, Signature and date.
How to apply for annual leave/ Procedure for applying for annual leave:
- Obtain the annual leave application form (Form N) from the head of institution or download it here.
- Fill out details in part I (To be completed by applicant), correctly.
- Hand over the filled form to the head of institution to fill part II (To be completed by the Head of Institution)
- Pick the completed form and take it to the Sub County, TSC, Director to fill part III (To be completed by the Sub- County Director).