One of the most important documents any motorist in transit is required to have worldwide is a driving license. In Kenya, police stop hundreds of motorists every day and ask for their driving licenses.
For motorists who haven’t carried their licenses, hefty fines are incurred and sometimes might end up in court. However, most motorists forget to check the expiry dates for their driving licenses.
How To Renew Kenya Driving Online License
Renewing licenses was hectic in the past. Motorists would have to queue for long hours at the Kenya Revenue Authority (KRA) to either get their licenses or for renewal purposes. The good news is; you can now renew your driving license from the comfort of your location as long as you can access the internet.
- Log in to the NTSA/ eCitizen portal with your E-mail address (or National ID Number) and Password
- Select National Transport and Safety Authority for online renewal of driving license in Kenya
- Click on Submit Application, then Driving Licenses
- You have two options for the renewal of a driving license in Kenya: a three-year license renewal that costs Ksh1400 or a one-year license at Ksh600. The NTSA charges a mandatory Ksh50 convenience fee in addition to the renewal charges.
- Double-check and confirm your driving license renewal details, then click Apply Now. Finally, press Submit
- Choose your preferred mode of payment. NTSA allows the use of mobile money such as M-Pesa. You can also pay using a Debit or Credit card
- Print your driving renewal license slip.
How to Apply for a New Smart Driving License
- You will need to create an account on NTSA’s TIMS portal. Or simply log in to your account if you already have one.
- After creating your account/login in, navigate to the Driving License tab on the top navigation bar.
- Tap on the blue SMART DL APPOINTMENT button
- A new tab will open and you will need to input your ID number, phone number and KRA PIN.
- Your next task will be to select your appointment Center, then the date then the time you wish to reserve. Unavailable slots will be marked in red, the blank white spaces are available slots that you can pick.
- After you make your reservation, print the appointment slip
- On the day of your appointment, go to the NTSA office you selected
- Once there, log in to your TIMS account for verification purposes with the help of an NTSA agent
- After you verify your details, you will pay KES 3,050 through M-PESA for your three-year driving license
- You will then take a passport photo alongside your biometric data, signature and blood group
- After this, your smart driving license will be ready for collection within three days