Save The Children: MEAL Officer Intern 2019
- Closing Date: Mar 1, 2019
- Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Save the Children has been operational in Kenya since the 1950s, providing support to children through developmental and humanitarian relief programmes delivered both directly and through local partners. Current programming focuses on child protection, child rights governance, education, health, HIV/AIDS, livelihoods, nutrition and WASH. In 2012, as part of a global reorganization process, Save the Children combined the programmes of SC UK, SC Canada and SC Finland to create a single operation in Kenya. In Feb 2014, we completed a second transition, which saw us join forces with the British INGO, Merlin, and merge their health and nutrition programmes with our own. Save the Children now has an operational presence in Bungoma, Dadaab Refugee Camp, Garissa, Mandera, Turkana and Wajir and we work through partners in many other parts of the country. In 2016, Save the Children established a new project office in Madagascar whose operations are managed by the Kenya CO. In total, we employ around 250 staff in both countries and has an operating annual budget in 2018 of approximately US$18 million
Smooth functioning of MEAL system in all projects of the designated area. Conduct frequent quality monitoring visit against Quality Benchmarks randomly and build capacity of the program team in data collection and reporting as well as update Output Tracker (OT) during emergencies and Indicator Performance Tracking Table (IPTTs) of all existing projects in the designated area. Support baseline surveys, formative and operational researches, and program reports etc. Make sure the complaints & feedback mechanisms in the field office are functional; strengthen coordination and collaboration with all program team and partner staffs. Ensure that MEAL is visible within projects.
Key Areas of Accountability.
* Ensure that the projects have solid MEAL plans, Indicator Performance Tracking Tables and log frames.
* Support the project leads in updating the indicator tracking tables and provide necessary MEAL guidance regarding project performance.
* Functioning CPIMS and EMIS (education in emergencies information management system).
* Ensure systematic filling for child protection cases are in place.
* Lead in the development of tools and guidelines for data collection, collation and reporting, for instance ensure that projects have clear MEAL plans, IPTT as well as tracking of total beneficiary reach.
* Maintain the field office database for all projects and ensure that the databases are updated regularly.
* Capacity building of program staff on project related M&E templates/forms for data collection; Output tracker (OT) and Indicator Performance Tracking Table (IPTT) etc.
* Organize field visits to monitor program activities / interventions against Quality Benchmarks/Quality Checklists and produce & share reports with program team as well as management team based on quality and accountability findings.
* Support program staff to strengthen joint planning and monitoring with stakeholders.
* Contribute to the quality of program design – reviewing log-frames, results frameworks, project plan, strategic plans, MEAL Plan etc.
* Lead in conducting data quality assessment to ensure that data reported is validated, is accurate and consistent while providing feedback as necessary to program teams;
* Analysis against the performance indicators and targets on periodic basis.
* Lead the country annual reporting processes for Total Reach and Global indicators reporting at field level.
* Ensure the quality of reporting data and verify the data and information from sources periodically on sample basis.
* Lead the review & reflection of whether the DIP is followed as per the plan or not during all staff meeting.
* To carry out follow-up monitoring visits to materialize action agreed in action plan also update and ensure close follow up of Monitoring-Action Plan Tracker’ at field level.
* Maintain close coordination with field manager at field level and Head of MEAL on Quality and Accountability issues. Share all information (monitoring reports, CFM database preliminary inquiry reports) with Head of MEAL while keeping the field manager in the loop.
B. Research and Evaluation
* Update the online evaluations tracker on a regular basis and ensure that it is up to date with all the studies and evaluations that are implemented in the field office.
* Participate in inter-agency assessments on CP, education and the annual participatory planning meeting led by UNHCR.
* Provide a synthesis of all evaluations conducted and share recommendations with program teams.
* Provide support for all needs assessments, formative and operational research and evaluations.
* Manage and supervise external consultants while they are in the field office for data collection.
* Assist MEAL Manager/Program Manager in preparing and conducting baseline studies.
* With support from communications, research and learning manager and programs teams develop quality case studies.
* Build strong and functional accountability mechanisms and ensure that these are continuously monitored.
* With support of project leads ensure that project information is correctly shared with beneficiaries through the most appropriate mechanisms.
* Data protection and confidentiality for CP cases in the camps.
* Ensure beneficiaries actively participate in project activities.
* Maintain and update a complaints and response mechanism database for tracking feedback from communities and ensure that the feedback/complaints are responded to.
* Build capacity of other program staff to undertake accountability including ensuring participation of communities and sharing information with communities as well as undertake accountability assessments.
* Ensure the Complaint Feedback Mechanism (CFM) are functional and accessible to beneficiaries.
* Develop regular trend analysis of complaints at organizational level and share these with program team as per protocols.
* Support in carrying out preliminary first verification report in case of serious nature of complaints filed by beneficiaries/communities and support for investigation of that types of complaints as per CFM protocol.
* Ensure that the agreed action plans are followed in timely manner by program team.
* Share all information (monitoring reports, CFM databases, preliminary verification reports, case studies) in the support of MEAL Assistant with Head of MEAL.
* Share MEAL findings & CFM issues in each monthly meeting
* Ensure that the CFM guidelines are followed by all staff.
* Conduct comprehensive analysis of evaluation and research findings; provide summary of findings, learning and recommendations and share these with program staff.
* Support program teams in developing quality program reports.
* Professionally document and proactively share information and learning from projects with Save the Children staff and stakeholders as necessary.
* Take an active role in ensuring that staff are compliant in uploading data and reports into share point and other relevant online systems and maintain such database systems.
* Ensure the key learning’s are incorporated in upcoming plans and interventions.
* Builds and maintains effective relationships with entire team members of organization, colleagues, members and external partners, supporters and stakeholders.
* Values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
* Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to
* Produce and share MEAL monthly, and cumulative yearly annual reports with the head of MEAL and Field Manager as well as program teams through proper channels.
* Ensure that all the data related to MEAL action Plan tracker & CFM database are recorded and updated in a timely manner.
* Coordinate closely with the all SC staff updated complaints registered, their resolution process, Action plan tracker & other MEAL related issues.
* Carry out dual responsibility in case of big emergency as per organizational requirement
Contract Duration: 10 Months
Nationality: Kenyans Only
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
* Minimum three years’ practical experience in M&E system implementation in a large international non-governmental organisation or other international relief/development body.
* Excellent knowledge of information technology systems and proficient in the use of ODK/Kobo and data analysis programmes e.g. SPSS and Stata.
* Demonstrable track-record in data management, with the ability to manage large databases.
* Ability to analyse and disseminate complex information to a range of stakeholder audiences.
* Computer literacy, particularly in Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
* Trained in data management and with at least one year experience working with Excel managing databases.
* Experience in quantitative and qualitative data collection (M&E methods) and data analysis.
* Enthusiasm, motivation, self-confidence, and a proactive approach to problem solving.
* Excellent planning, coordination, and reporting skills, with the ability to organise a substantial workload comprised of complex, diverse tasks and responsibilities.
* Strong communication and interpersonal skills in English, with experience working in multicultural, multi -location, values driven teams.
* Previous experience working with humanitarian programmes in Northern Kenya.
* Bachelor’s degree in Social Sciences, Statistics or related field with preferably 3 years relevant work experience
* Good working knowledge of English.
Please apply in English saving your CV and covering letter as a single document, including your salary expectations for this role. To see a full a job description, please visit our website at
We need to keep children safe so our selection process reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse. Employment is subject to our Child protection standards including background checks and adherence to our Child Safeguarding Policy.
Save the Children is an equal opportunity employer and seeks to employ and assign the best qualified talent.
Save the Children International does not charge any kind of fee at whichever stage of the recruitment process and does not act through recruitment agents
Only shortlisted candidates will be contactedHOW TO APPLY: