Remuneration and Benefits for State Officers in the County Assembly
IN EXERCISE of the mandate of Salaries and Remuneration Commission (SRC) as set out under Article 230 (4) (a) of the Constitution, SRC has reviewed the remuneration and benefits for State officers in the County Assembly under the Third Remuneration and Benefits Review Cycle that covers Financial Years (FY) 2021/2022-2024/2025. Consequently:
- for the period 2021/2022, as applicable during the second remuneration review cycle; and
- for the period 2022/2023, SRC has set the remuneration and benefits as published in this Gazette Notice; and
- for the period 2023/2024 – 2024/2025, SRC shall set the remuneration and benefits on or before the commencement of FY 2023/2024.
- Monthly Remuneration for State officers in the County Assembly for FY 2022/2023
|State officer||Basic Salary||House Allowance||Commuter Allowance||Salary Market Adjustment||Gross Salary|
|Speaker of the County Assembly||315,315||80,000||Official||130,210||525,525|
|Deputy Speaker of the County Assembly||129,938||60,000||Official||26,625||216,563|
|Member of the County Assembly||86,625||45,000||Official||12,750||144,375|
- The monthly remuneration set herein shall be payable upon assumption of office of State officers in the Third County
- The monthly remuneration is fixed for the term of office for the State officer in the County Assembly, unless reviewed and set by the Salaries and Remuneration Commission.
- The remuneration set herein takes into account the reviewed job evaluation grading and includes compensation for plenary
- Salary Market Adjustment is a salary modification that takes into account market positioning, and constitutional and statutory principles on remuneration and benefits.
- The basic salary set herein is 60 percent of the gross salary set
- For purposes of gratuity and pension, the pensionable emolument shall be based on the monthly basic salary set
- The deconsolidated remuneration structure set herein is in compliance with the Judgment of the Court in Nairobi ELRC Petition 29 of
- Benefits for State officers in the County Assemblies
- Committee Sitting Allowance
State officers in the County Assembly, who serve in Committees, shall be paid Committee Sitting Allowance as follows:
- Chairperson: KES 6,500 per sitting up to a maximum of KES 104,000 per
- Vice-Chairperson: KES 5,200 per sitting up to a maximum of KES 83,200 per
- Member: KES 3,900 per sitting up to a maximum of KES 62,400 per
- Official Transport:
- The Speaker of the County Assembly: Shall be provided with an official car of engine capacity not exceeding
- Deputy Speaker and Member of County Assembly: Shall be provided a Motor Vehicle Reimbursement of KES 2,212,000 for purchase of a car of engine capacity not exceeding 1800cc, for official duties as a Member of County Assembly. The Motor Vehicle Reimbursement shall be payable once in a county assembly term.
- Car Maintenance Allowance: Shall be paid to Deputy Speaker and Members of County Assembly at the rate of KES 30,167 per
- Mileage Claim: A Deputy Speaker and a Member of County Assembly shall be reimbursed a claimable mileage allowance of one return journey per week from respective county assembly office to respective ward office at the rate of KES 77.35 per kilometre using a car of engine capacity not exceeding 1800cc. The claimable mileage allowance is zoned and claimable up to a maximum for respective zones as follows:
|Zone||One Way Distance (Km)||Maximum Return Journey (Km)||Rate of Claimable Mileage Reimbursement in KES||Reimbursable Monthly Mileage Claim of up to a Maximum of KES|
|1||0 – 45||90||77.35||30,167|
|2||46 – 80||160||77.35||53,629|
|3||81 – 115||230||77.35||77,092|
|4||116 – 150||300||77.35||100,555|
|5||151 – 185||370||77.35||124,018|
|6||186 and above||440||77.35||147,481|
- The maximum monthly reimbursable mileage is to be calculated based on 52 weeks in a year as follows: Maximum monthly reimbursable mileage = (maximum weekly return journey in km X 52 weeks X KES 77.35)/12 months.
- The respective County Assembly Service Board shall ensure that Members of County Assembly are reimbursed within the maximum reimbursable mileage claim for respective zones.
- Special County Assembly Duty Allowance: Shall be paid per month to specific designated offices in recognition of the added responsibilities, as follows:
|Position||Monthly Limits (KES per Month)|
|Leader of Majority Leader of Minority||32,000|
|Chief WhipDeputy Leader of Majority Deputy Leader of Minority||29,000|
|Chairperson of Committees Deputy Chief WhipOther Whips||26,000|
|Vice Chairperson of Committees||23,000|
|Members of Speakers Panel||20,000|
- Special County Assembly Duty Allowance is paid to State officers in the County Assemblies whose duties involve added responsibility over and above the duties stipulated in one’s terms of service for which a regular salary is paid.
- Special County Assembly Duty Allowance is applicable to State officers in the County Assemblies who are serving in the enlisted leadership positions and it ceases to be paid when the jobholder ceases to hold the leadership position.
- Medical Benefit for Speaker and Member of County Assembly: An annual medical cover shall be provided to the State officer, one spouse and up to four children below twenty-five years fully dependent on the State officer, as follows:
Inpatient: KES 3 million Outpatient: KES 200,000
Maternity: KES 100,000
Dental: KES 50,000
Optical: KES 50,000
- Retirement Benefit:
There shall be two types of retirement benefits for State officers, pension and gratuity as follows:
- A State officer serving or appointed on permanent and pensionable terms shall be eligible to pension benefit in line with existing
- A State officer serving or appointed for a fixed term of office shall be paid a service gratuity at the rate of 31 percent of the annual pensionable emoluments for the term served.
- Where an employer establishes a pension scheme for its State officers appointed for a fixed term of office, the SRC shall review and set the rate of the employer’s contributions to the scheme and any other financial retirement benefits.
- No State officer shall benefit from both pension and gratuity benefits from the same public body for a similar
- Group Life Insurance: A State officer shall be covered for a value equivalent to three times of the annual pensionable
- Group Personal Accident: A State officer shall be covered for a value equivalent to three times of the annual pensionable
- Car Loan and Mortgage Benefit: Shall be provided, as follows:
|State officer||Car Loan||Mortgage|
|Speaker of the County Assembly||Up to KES 4 million||Up to KES 20 million|
|Deputy Speaker and Member of County Assembly||Up to KES 2 million||Up to KES 3 million|
- The applicable rate of interest shall be three (3) percent per annum on a reducing balance for the duration of the
- Members of County Assembly may access a maximum value of KES 5 million loan for purchase or car and/or
- The car loan shall be recoverable within the contract term of a State
- The car loan and mortgage shall be administered and managed centrally by the County Assembly Service Board within existing applicable regulations to govern the schemes, and subject to availability of funds.
- Daily Subsistence Allowance for local and foreign travels: Shall be paid to State officers in the County Assembly as per the rates reviewed and set by SRC from time to time.
- Airtime: Shall be paid at the following rates:
- Speaker of the County Assembly: Up to KES 10,000 per
- Member of the County Assembly: Up to KES 5,000 per
- Official Residence: The Speaker of the County Assembly shall be provided with an official residence together with commensurate home utilities and attendants by the State. The official residence shall be a physical building/house owned by the county government. The benefit shall not be commuted to cash in lieu of an official residence.
- Security: Shall be provided as advised by the Inspector General of Police and shall not be commuted to cash in lieu of
- Abolished Benefits and Allowances: The following benefits and allowances are abolished and cease to be payable:
- Transport Facilitation Benefit in the form of a Car Grant; and
- Sitting Allowance for Plenary
- Any remuneration and benefits not specified herein is not payable unless otherwise set by the Salaries and Remuneration Effective date: 9th August, 2022.