Remuneration and Benefits for State Officers in the Executive of the County Government
IN EXERCISE of the mandate of Salaries and Remuneration Commission (SRC) as set out under Article 230 (4) (a) of the Constitution, SRC has reviewed the remuneration and benefits for State officers in the Executive of the County Government under the Third Remuneration and Benefits Review Cycle that covers financial years 2021/2022-2024/2025. Consequently:
- for the period 2021/2022, the remuneration and benefits were retained as set by SRC in Gazette Notice 6518 of 7th July, 2017;
- for the period 2022/2023, SRC has set the remuneration and benefits as published in this Gazette Notice; and
- for the period 2023/2024 – 2024/2025, SRC shall set the remuneration and benefits on or before the commencement of FY 2023/2024.
- Monthly Remuneration for State officers in the Executive of the County Government for FY 2022/2023
|State Officer||Basic Salary||House Allowance||Commuter Allowance||Salary Market Adjustment||Gross Salary|
|Deputy County Governor||372,750||100,000||Official||148,500||621,250|
|Member of the Executive Committee||242,550||80,000||Official||81,700||404,250|
- A serving State officer and a State officer appointed on or after the effective date of this Gazette Notice shall be paid the monthly deconsolidated remuneration package set herein.
- The monthly remuneration set herein is fixed for the term of office of the State officer, unless reviewed and set by the Salaries and Remuneration
- The remuneration set herein takes into account the reviewed job evaluation grading under the third remuneration and benefits review
- Salary Market Adjustment is a salary modification that takes into account market positioning, and constitutional and statutory principles for review of remuneration and benefits.
- For purposes of gratuity and pension, the pensionable emolument shall be based on the monthly basic salary set
- The basic salary set herein is 60 percent of the gross salary set
- The deconsolidated remuneration structure set herein is in compliance with the Judgment of the Court in Nairobi ELRC Petition 29 of
- Benefits for State officers in the Executive of the County Government
- Official Transport: Shall be provided as follows:
- Governor and Deputy Governor: Shall be provided with official car of engine capacity not exceeding
- Member of County Executive Committee: Shall be provided with official car of engine capacity not exceeding
- Medical Benefit: An annual medical cover shall be provided to the State officer, one spouse and up to four children below twenty-five years fully dependent on the State officer, as follows:
|Governor||Deputy Governor||Member of County Executive Committee|
|Inpatient: KES 10 million||Inpatient: KES 10 million||Inpatient: KES 3 million|
|Outpatient: KES 300,000||Outpatient: KES 300,000||Outpatient: KES 200,000|
|Maternity: KES 150,000||Maternity: KES 150,000||Maternity: KES 100,000|
|Dental: KES 75,000||Dental: KES 75,000||Dental: KES 50,000|
|Optical: KES 75,000||Optical: KES 75,000||Optical: KES 50,000|
- Retirement Benefit:
There shall be two types of retirement benefits for State officers, pension and gratuity as follows:
- A State officer serving or appointed on permanent and pensionable terms shall be eligible to pension benefit in line with existing
- A State officer serving or appointed for a fixed term of office shall be paid a service gratuity at the rate of 31 percent of the annual pensionable emoluments for the term served.
- Where an employer establishes a pension scheme for its State officers appointed for a fixed term of office, the SRC shall review and set the rate of the employer’s contribution to the scheme and any other financial retirement benefits.
- No State officer shall benefit from both pension and gratuity benefits from the same public body for a similar
- Group Life Insurance: A State officer shall be covered for a value equivalent to three times of the annual pensionable
- Group Personal Accident: A State officer shall be covered for a value equivalent to three times of the annual pensionable
- Car Loan and Mortgage Benefit: Shall be provided as follows:
|State officer||Car Loan||Mortgage|
|County Governor||Up to KES 10 million||Up to KES 40 million|
|Deputy Governor||Up to KES 5 million||Up to KES 25 million|
|Member of County Executive Committee||Up to KES 4 million||Up to KES 20 million|
- The applicable rate of interest shall be three (3) percent per annum on a reducing balance, for the duration of the
- The car loan shall be recoverable within the contract term of a State
- The car loan and mortgage schemes shall be administered and managed centrally by the County Treasury, within existing applicable regulations to govern the schemes and subject to availability of funds.
- Daily Subsistence Allowance for local and foreign travels: Shall be paid to State officers in the Executive of the County Governments as per the rates reviewed and set by SRC from time to time.
- Airtime: Shall be paid at the following rates:
- County Governor: Up to KES 20,000 per month
- Deputy County Governor: Up to KES 15,000 per month
- Member of County Executive Committee: Up to KES 10,000 per month
- Official Residence: The County Governor and Deputy County Governor shall be provided with an official residence together with commensurate home utilities and attendants by the county government. The official residence shall be a physical building/house owned by The benefit shall not be commuted to cash in lieu of an official residence.
- Security: Shall be provided as advised by the Inspector General of Police and shall not be commuted to cash in lieu of
- Annual Leave Allowance:
- County Governor and Deputy County Governor: Are elected State officers, therefore, are not eligible for this
- Member of County Executive Committee: Shall be paid at the rate of KES 10,000 per annum and shall not be commuted to cash in lieu of leave.
Note: The Annual leave entitlement shall be thirty (30) days excluding weekends and public holidays.
- Any remuneration and benefits not specified herein are not payable unless otherwise set by the Salaries and Remuneration Effective date: 9th August, 2022.