Apply for an Electrician licence
A person who desires to be licensed as an electrician shall make an application to the energy regulatory commission. This application may be made On-line at the commission’s website or in person at the energy regulatory commission offices.
- Open ERC Website ERC Website
- Click on the tab “online services”
- Click “access our online portal”
- For new users click on the “register” tab. For existing users login using your user name and password
- Click “apply for a new licence”
- For electricians select “individual” for contractors select “business/company”
- Select the class of licence you wish to apply for.
- Select the tab that corresponds to your academic qualifications
- Enter your personal details and press save. Ensure that you enter your correct email address. Create a unique username and password.
- Open your email, you will find a message from ERC. Open our portal through the link given in your inbox and fill in the rest of the details.
- Fill in your work experience, academic qualifications, knowledge of rules, and other ERC licences that you may be having.
- Choose “Nairobi” as the examination centre or an appropriate centre near by you.
- Enter the details of your referees and press enter
- Upload your scanned documents in their respective places and press next
- Enter the transaction number indicated in the payment slip. The payment date is the date you deposited money to the bank.
- Submit your application and print the application notification.
- The licence is usually ready after a period of 30 days. Notification for collection will be made through email and text message. One is required to collect the licence in-person from the ERC offices. You are required to carry a proof of identity during collection.
Apply In-Person :
- The applicant should visit the energy regulatory commission offices to make the application. The applicant will be given an application for Electrical Installation Licence (Form 1) to fill and submit. The form may also be downloaded online and filled before visiting the offices for submission. Forms
- Fill in your personal details, which electrical licence class you wish to apply , work experience, academic qualifications, knowledge of rules and other ERC licences that you may be having
- Take the applicant form to two independent referees who must have knowledge of the applicant ability very well, preferably in the trade. The refreezes are to sign against their names on the application form.
- Pay application fees at any KCB Branch by cash deposit into the Rural Electrification Authority (REA) Account No. 046245502138 ,KCB Milimani Branch Nairobi and bring the paying in slip to the ERC offices to facilitate the preparation of the licence
- Attach copies of academics and technical certificates, copy of national ID/Passport, and bank payment slip to the duly filled application form1 and submit to the ERC offices for processing.
- The licence is usually ready after a period of 30 days. Notification for collection will be made through text message. One is required to collect the licence in-person from the ERC offices. You are required to carry a proof of identity during collection.
- Academic and technical certificates,
- National ID/Passportm
- Bank payment slip
- Electrical installation licence Held
- Duly filled Application for Electrical Installation Licence (Form 1)
- Minimum Technical qualification for Class A-1 ; BSC in Electrical Engineering and Registered as Electrical Engineer by ERB
- Minimum Technical qualification for Class A-2 ; Electrical Wireman Grade II and other equivalent certificate
- Minimum Technical qualification for Class B ; Higher National Diploma in Electrical Engineering and Registered as Technician Engineer by ERB
- Minimum Technical qualification for Class C-1 ; Higher National Diploma, BSC in Electrical Engineering and other equivalent Certificates
- Minimum Technical qualification for Class C-2 ; Electrical Wiremen Grade I, Grade II or Grade III, Final Craft Certificate, Diploma in Electrical Engineering and other Equivalent Certificates.
Application Fees Class:
C-2: Ksh 250
C-1: Ksh 500
B: Ksh 750
A-1 Ksh 1000
A-2: Ksh 1000
Payments are to be made to
Bank: Kenya Commercial Bank
Account Name:Energy Regulatory Commission
Account Number: 1107180198
Branch: Moi Avenue
Valid for three years from the date of issue
Documents to Use
Application for Electrical Installation Licence Forms
- Processing takes 30 working days
Office Locations & Contacts
Energy Regulatory Commission
Eagle Africa Centre,
P. O. Box 42681,
Tel: +254 202 847 000 / +254 202 847 200
Tel. 1: +254 202 717 603
Website: ERC Website
On-line call support centre
SMEs Application Procedure
This application procedure is tailored for Small & Medium Enterpises (SMEs) Applications whose connection enquiry is within 200 meters from KPLC grid for supply between 100kVA to 200kVA.
2 Easy Steps of applying for an electricity connection as follows:
1: Apply Online (https://selfservice.kplc.co.ke) and Pay Online (via RTGS to KPLC Bank Account No. 0104074121608 or Mobile Money Transfer Pay bill number 888899, Account No: application reference No.) and sign the Supply Contract (see forms below).
2: Receive external works, meter installation and electricity flow.
How much does it cost to install electricity in Kenya?
The cost for installation of electricity has been dropped from KSh35,000 down to only KSh15,000 to speed up the Government’s agenda to have at least 70 per cent of Kenyan households connected to electricity by 2017.
How do I apply for Kenya Power?
1: Apply Online (https://selfservice.kplc.co.ke) and Pay Online (via RTGS to KPLC Bank Account No. 0104074121608 or Mobile Money Transfer Pay bill number 888899, Account No: application reference No.) and sign the Supply Contract (see forms below). 2: Receive external works, meter installation and electricity flow.