East Tennessee State University Scholarships
International Students Academic Merit Scholarship
The International Students Academic Merit Scholarship is available to eligible new international students seeking a graduate or undergraduate degree.
- Apply for admission to ETSU undergraduate admissions, graduate admissions)
- Have or plan to have an F-1 or J-1 student visa (F-1 Visa information, J-1 Visa information).
- Have a demonstrated record of academic achievement.
All international students who apply for admission to the university are considered for the scholarship. Upon admission, applicants who meet the following criteria will be offered the scholarship automatically:
- Minimum 3.0 high school GPA on the US 4.0 scale (freshman applicants)
- Minimum 3.0 undergraduate GPA on the US 4.0 scale (undergraduate transfer applicants and graduate applicants)
- Applicants who qualify for the scholarship will receive notice of the award and how accept it, in the admissions letter. Students who wish to accept the scholarship must complete and submit a scholarship acceptance form within three weeks from the date on the admissions letter.
Scholarship Value per School Year
Undergraduate students: $12,500
Graduate students: $11,500
Award Terms and Conditions:
Undergraduate students: up to 8 semesters provided the minimum eligibility requirements are maintained.
Graduate Students: Five semesters for recipients seeking a master’s degree, or commensurate with the length of the program.
Scholarship may not be combined with other scholarships that cover tuition and fees costs (Creative Arts, Honors in Discipline, Grad Assistantship, Graduate Tuition Scholarship, Government funding, Fulbright grants, etc)
The scholarship only applies to in- and out-of-state tuition. Recipients will be required to pay other fees such as program fees, course fees, housing costs, meal plan, and medical insurance costs.
Other conditions as outlined in the Acceptance Form.
Students Ineligible for the Merit Scholarship:
- Students pursuing a second Bachelor’s or a second Master’s degree
- Graduate students receiving a graduate assistantship or tuition scholarship
- Students receiving any other ETSU tuition scholarship
- Students applying for the M.D. and PharmD programs
- Students who are not in lawful F-1 or J-1 status
Graduate Assistantships and Tuition Scholarships – Graduate Students Only
International graduate students may apply for graduate assistantships (GA) and tuition scholarships (TS). A GA or TS is a service scholarship that requires the recipient to perform services in exchange for receiving a tuition and maintenance fee waiver. GA and TS scholarships can waive as much as full tuition (GA positions also include a monthly stipend). Before applying for a GA or TS, international students must be admitted to ETSU as graduate students. Only students in their first period of enrollment as graduate students at ETSU may apply for a TS.
For more information, see the school of graduate studies assistantship information web page. Students searching for available GA and TS scholarships should check with their academic department and review the School of Graduate Studies list of GA and TS vacancies.
International Undergraduate Student Year 2 – Y2 Merit Scholarship
Eligible undergraduate international students, already enrolled at ETSU, may apply for a limited number of Year 2 Merit Scholarships, under the following terms and conditions.
Note: The Y2Merit cannot be used in conjunction with any other scholarships that cover costs of tuition. Examples are: Merit Scholarship, CAS, HID, Middway, SACM, etc.
Eligible applicants will:
- Be current ETSU international students who have been enrolled for at least one full semester but no more than two semesters at ETSU
- Have a minimum ETSU grade point average of 3.0
- Be in lawful F1 or J1 status
- Be a degree-seeking undergraduate student
Terms and conditions:
- 10 merit scholarships will be offered yearly
- Scholarships will only be offered starting in the fall semester. No initial awards will be offered for the spring term.
- Awardees will be notified of selection by May 31st
- Scholarships will not cover program, service and course fees; health insurance, housing, meal plans, etc
- May 20-Applications will be accepted starting February 1
- Application Form
- Will be in the amount of $12,500 per academic year (spring and fall terms)
- Must be used towards tuition and fees
- Cannot be used towards service, programs, and individual course fees
- Are competitive and will be based on the ETSU grade point average
- Will be effective the fall term and for no more than 6 semesters, provided students maintain the minimum eligibility requirement
- Cannot be used when students are charged Erate or in-state tuition rates.
- Have no cash value