Dr. Nancy Njeri Macharia is the current Teachers Service Commission (TSC) Secretary/Chief Executive Officer. She was first appointed in June 30, 2015 to take over from her predecessor Gabriel Lengoiboni (who had served at the commission for 11 years).
Dr. Macharia who is serving her second and final term is the Commission’s 9th boss.
BIOGRAPHY OF DR. NANCY NJERI MACHARIA
Dr. Macharia was Born in 1963 on the Central region of Kenya. She has trained both locally and internationally in Corporate Governance, Public Procurement, Policy Formation, Information Communication Technology (ICT), Proactive Management and Business Excellence Models, among others.
She holds a Master of Education (Policy and Management) degree from Bristol University, UK and a Bachelor of Education degree in English/Literature from Kenyatta University. She has worked in the education sector for more than 28 years.
She is a member of the Kenya Association of Public Administration Management (KAPAM) and Institute of Directors.
Dr. Macharia was first appointed the TSC boss in 2015, becoming the first ever woman to hold the powerful position. She commands a work force of over 300,000 teachers and TSC Secretariat staff. Dr. Macharia is Known for her hard-line stand.
PREVIOUS TSC CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICERS
Dr. Nancy Macharia is the 9th Commission Secretary/Chief Executive Officer after Jesse Muhoro (1967 to 1974), James Kamunge (1974 to 1977), Duncan Mwangi (1978 to 1980), Joseph Lijembe (1980 to 1982), Jackson Kang’ali (1982 to 1998), Benjamin Sogomo (1998 to 2003), James Ongwae (2003 to 2004) and Gabriel Lengoiboni (2004-2015).
|S/N||NAME OF TSC BOSS||Gender||PERIOD SERVED||YEARS SERVED|
|1||Jesse Muhoro||Male||1967 to 1974||7 Years|
|2||James Kamunge||Male||1974 to 1977||3 Years|
|3||Duncan Mwangi||Male||1978 to 1980||2 Years|
|4||Joseph Lijembe||Male||1980 to 1982||2 Years|
|5||Jackson Kang’ali||Male||1982 to 1998||16 Years|
|6||Benjamin Sogomo||Male||1998 to 2003||5 Years|
|7||James Ongwae||Male||2003 to 2004||1 Year|
|8||Gabriel Lengoiboni||Male||2004 to 2015||11 Years|
|9||Nancy Macharia||Female||2015 to…||–|
Key Duties and responsibilities performed by the TSC CEO
The secretary is the the Chief Executive Officer of the Commission responsible for implementation of strategies, policies and decisions of the Commission.
Under the guidance of the Commission, the Secretary performs the following duties:-
- Execute the decisions of the Commission.
- Be head of the Secretariat.
- Facilitate, coordinate and ensure execution of the Commission’s mandate.
- Advise the Commission on teacher projections to facilitate staffing of learning institutions.
- Advise and make recommendations to the Commission on optimum utilization of available teachers.
- Make recommendations to the Commission on appointment and deployment to administrative posts in educational institutions.
- Ensure maintenance of the register of teachers and be custodian of all records of the Commission.
- Be the Accounting officer of the Commission and ensure proper and diligent implementation of Part IV of the TSC Act and any other written law.
- Ensure staff compliance with the constitution and other laws.
- Be responsible for administration and management of the secretariat resources.
- Promote professionalism in the teaching service.
- Advise the Commission on suitability of persons entering the teaching service.
Minimum Qualifications and Experience for one told the TSC CEO’s post
For one to serve as the Commission’s CEO, she/ he must:
- Be a citizen of Kenya;
- Hold a Bachelors degree in Education from a University recognized in Kenya. Holders of higher qualification will have an added advantage;
- Have had at least ten (10) years’ experience in education, administration and management, public administration, human resource or financial management.
- Be conversant with public service values, principles, policies and practice as defined in related education laws, policies and regulations;
- Have good understanding of Kenyan and International Labour Laws;
- Meet the requirements of leadership and integrity as set out in Chapter Six of the Constitution.
Personal Qualities and Competencies
This is a high level position and the person is expected tom possess the following competencies:-
- Leadership qualities
- Strategic thinking
- Business acumen
- Problem solving and analysis skills
- Decision making
- Performance Management
- Results driven management
- Communication proficiency and Financial