Best MBPS In Kenya

What is an MBPS?

Broadband speeds are measured in ‘megabits per second’, often shortened to Mb Mbits p/s or Mbps. Bits are tiny units of data, with a megabit representing a million of them.

The higher the number of Mbps (megabits per second) you have, the speedier your online activity should be.

Best MBPS In Kenya

Unwired Communications Limited

Speed Score – 8.83

An ISP based in Nairobi and founded in 2008. Unwired Communications is the leanest and youngest of Kenya’s top ISPs, with only about 25 regular employees.

The company provides cost-effective data services to both residences and businesses in Kenya through broadband internet, virtual private networks (VPNs), and even structured cabling solutions.

Their customer base is mostly wholesalers at 80%, with the remaining 20% being private residences. Unwired services can range from 1Mbps wireless from at little as Ksh50, up to 6Gbps lines. Its packages are flexible and customer-depending.

Unwired Communications ranked last in terms of connection consistency but ranked 1st in terms of least latency.

Telkom

Speed Score – 9.03

Established in Kenya in 1999, Telkom was one of the country’s first telecommunications providers. The semi-private company is 60% owned by Helios Investment Partners with the rest of the shares owned by the Government of Kenya.

Telkom Kenya offers a wide range of products to customers, including Data Centre Solutions, Cloud, Managed Services, Connectivity, Broadband, Carrier-to-Carrier traffic and Backbone Infrastructure to corporates. Telkom also offers mobile data, mobile payment solutions and even devices.

Internet plans for private residences start at 5GB cap daily data for Ksh250, up to 100GB for 90 days at Ksh6000. Telkom Kenya’s 4G download speeds are around 53Mbps.

Telkom ranked 3rd for both connection consistency and latency.

Safaricom

Speed Score – 11.51

Ubiquitous Kenyan telecom group Safaricom is the uncontested leader for the country’s telecommunications sector.

Founded in 1993, Safaricom provides a large bouquet of services and solutions, from M-Pesa to mobile devices and all in between.

Its home fibre packages start at Ksh2999 pm for 8Mbps, to Ksh13,549 pm for 100Mbps in its Diamond Plus fibre package that includes 5G mobile data as well.

Safaricom has the second most latency on its network but has the second-most consistent network connection

Faiba

Speed Score – 23.19

The fastest ISP in Kenya by a significant amount, according to Ookla’s Speed Score.

Faiba is the fibre optics internet branch of Jamii Telecommunications Limited. It offers FTTH (Fibre-to-the-home) and FTTB plans.

Home plans start at 30Mbps for Ksh5250 pm, up to 125Mbps for Ksh21,000 pm. Business plans start at 15Mbps for Ksh10,000, to 100Mbps for Ksh55,000.

Faiba also has the most consistent connection by a wide margin and has the second least latency out of the other top Kenyan ISPs.

How many Mbps do we have in Kenya?

As of November 2021, the median download speed of cellular mobile internet connections in Kenya stood at 13.19 megabits per second (Mbps).

Does Kenya have fast internet?

Kenya has the world’s 14th-fastest mobile internet speed, according to a report from the content delivery network Akamai, which collects data from more 130 countries.

How many Mbps is very good?

A good download speed is at least 100Mbps, and a good upload speed is at least 10 Mbps. With 100Mbps, you can watch Netflix or YouTube, attend Zoom meetings, and play most online games on several devices at the same time.

What is 5G internet speed in Kenya?

5G technology offers superfast download speed of up to 50Gbps, high-quality streaming, low latency, increased availability, improved reliability, higher performance and stable connectivity.