What is Bread?
Bread is a staple food prepared from a dough of flour and water, usually by baking. Throughout recorded history and around the world, it has been an important part of many cultures’ diets.
Best Bread Brands In Kenya
1. Supa Loaf Bread
Supa Loaf bread by Mini Bakeries is the most common bread among Kenyan households taking 28% of the market share according to the consumer’s pantries in Kenya 2022. Supa loaf leads among the best bread brands in Kenya as it has different types of bread.
Supa Loaf Bread Brands in Kenya
- Supa Loaf Butter Toast Bread 400g costs KES 57
- Supa Loaf Butter Toast Bread 600g costs KES 85
- Supa Loaf Golden Barrel White Sliced Bread 600g costs KES 85
- Supa Loaf Golden Barrel Brown Sliced Bread 600g KES 89
- Supa Loaf White Sliced Sandwich Bread 800g costs KES 115
- Supa Loaf Butter Toast Bread 800g costs KES 115
- Supa Loaf Golden Barrel White Sliced Bread 800g costs KES 115
2. Festive Bread
Festive bread takes 19% of the Kenyan market share and it’s owned by DPL Festive Limited which was established in Nairobi in the year 2000. It prides itself on being the tastiest, most nutritious, and smooth bread in the Kenyan market with stable slices that easily roll into your mouth. Festive bread leads among the best bread brands in Kenya as it has Whole Meal Brown Bread and White Milky Bread available in 400g, 600g, 800g, and 1500g. They also have festive sugar-free white bread among other products such as Caramel, Strawberry, Chocolate, and Vanilla Cream Filling Cream Rolls.
Festive Bread Brands in Kenya
- Festive Natures Gold White Bread 400g that retails at KES 57
- Festive Family White Bread 600g costs KES 85
- Festive Milky White Bread 800g that retails at KES 118,
- Festive Milky White Bread 1.5Kg costs KES 220
- Festive Supreme Whole Meal Bread 400g KES 59
- Festive Supreme Whole Meal Bread 600g that retails at KES 87
- Festive Supreme Whole Meal Bread 800g costs KES 118
- Festive Whole Meal Brown Sliced Bread 1.5Kg costs KES 220
3. Broadways Bread
Broadways comes in third taking 10% of the market share. It prides itself on being the most delicious, tastier, and healthier brand of bread in the Kenyan market. They also have whole bread which is favorable for those who are trying to lose weight. Broadways is among the best bread brands in Kenya as it has different types of bread in the market.
Broadways Bread Brands in Kenya
- Broadways White Bread Unsliced 200g costs KES 30
- Broadways Sliced White Bread 400g KES 59
- Broadways White Bread 600g costs KES 85
- Broadways Premium White Sliced Bread 800g costs KES 115
- Broadways Kati Kati 50/50 Bread 400g KES 58
- Broadways Wheat Meal Brown Sliced Bread 400g costs KES 58
- Broadways Premium Sliced Bread 400g KES 58
- Broadway Brown Sliced Sandwich Bread 600g KES 600
- Broadways Wheat Meal Brown Sliced Bread 800g KES 117
4. Kingsmil Bread
Kingsmil takes 5% of the Kenyan market share and prides itself on the most freshly baked, soft, and irresistible bread in the Kenyan market. Kingsmill bread is among the best bread brands in Kenya and it has several types of bread in the market.
Kingsmill bread brands in Kenya
- Kingsmil Kubwa Wao White 400g costs KES 60
- Kingsmil White Bread 400g costs KES 58
- Kingsmill Milky White Bread 600g costs KES 89
- Kingsmill Milky White Bread 800g costs KES 118
- Kingsmil Kubwa Wao Brown 400g costs KES 60
- Kingsmill Whole Meal Brown Bread 400g costs KES 58
- Kingsmill Brown Whole Meal Sandwich Bread 600g costs KES 89
- Kingsmill Brown Whole Meal Sandwich Bread 800g costs KES 118
Preferred format and channels for bread in Kenya
Among the best bread brands in Kenya, the most popular format is the 400g packaging by far (71%). Only a few consumers buy the 800g format (16%) and 600g format (13%). In fact, some brands, such as Festive, only sell the standard 400g packaging.
In terms of preferred channels of purchase, bread consumers in Kenya have clear habits. Indeed, the vast majority buy bread in kiosks (54%) for convenience, and 43% purchase bread in supermarkets.
Bread Brands price Positioning in Kenya
Price is critical for a product so ingrained in Kenyans’ lives and consumed on a daily basis by most. If we look at the prices panelists paid, we find that it is fairly consistent across brands but with some nuances. For example, the most popular size, the 400g packaging, currently costs an average of 60.4 KES. Some brands are slightly lower like Festive (60.1 KES) and Kingsmil (60.2 KES) while some tend to be priced slightly higher. Super Loaf is found at 60.9 KES, Broadway at 60.6 KES, and BB at 61.3 KES.
So who buys which bread brand in Kenya?
Without much surprise, bread brands in Kenya with the lowest average price tend to perform better with lower incomes. For example, a majority of Festive consumers (55%) earn less than 250 USD. On the contrary, Supa Loaf and Broadway do better with higher-income groups. For example, 29% of Broadway consumers earn over 500 USD compared to only 19% of Festive consumers.
As demonstrated, a pantry check in Kenya or across most African markets allows one to get a quick understanding of consumers across the continent. Quick implementation, yet a deep granular analysis by brands and demographics (age, gender, income, etc.). Contact us for further details.