About Meru National Polytechnic
HISTORY OF MERU NATIONAL POLYTECHNIC (MNP).
The Meru National Polytechnic (MNP) is located in Meru County along Meru-Nanyuki highway, about 10 km from Meru Town and less than 5 km from Makutano Centre.
The Meru National Polytechnic was upgraded from Meru Technical Training Institute in 2016 and has been in operation since 1956 when it was started by the Meru County Council to train the youth in various practical skills. It was then known as Gitoro Technical. In 1964, the school was handed over to the regional education office and it became Meru Technical School, offering two-year duration courses.
In 1969 the school was upgraded to a technical vocational Training school and the course duration extended to three years. In the same year, the first form one students were admitted to be prepared for KJSE(Kenya Junior Secondary School Examination) Technical at the end of two years. Those who passed and wished to continue to form three and four were transferred to MIOME (Mombasa Institute of Muslim Education) the present day Mombasa Polytechnic. Those who remained were for further one year before joining the labor market.
In 1973, the school was once more upgraded to a Technical secondary school and the terminal examination became East African Certificate of Education. In 1985 the secondary cycle started being phased out so that it became a Technical Training Institute in May 1986. It admitted the first artisan students and ACNC (Accounts clerk National Certificate), students
The first craft students were admitted in 1997 and the first CPA students were admitted in 1988. In 1997, the first diploma students were admitted. At present, the Polytechnic offers 3 Higher Diploma Courses, more than 25 Diploma courses, 31 Craft courses, 6 Artisan courses. Currently, the Polytechnic has 225 Teaching Staff Member and 125 Non-Teaching Staff Members, and a student Population of about 8,000 students.